“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

-Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Vexing Hobby

     First let me say, vexing is on of my favorite words I've learned from reading Jane Austen and I'm thrilled to have an opportunity to use it.  Yes, I know I'm a nerd.  But moving on.  Bird watching for those not familiar with it, may sound relaxing and it can be.  However, lately I've found it frustrating at times.  I'm quite new to the venture and there is a lot I don't know.  I can identify a few birds by call but not many, and I still can't do a long distance ID.  I can't usually tell what type of hawk I'm looking at unless it flashes it's red tail at me.  In short, I'm quite the novice.  I wish I could carry around an expert in my pocket, and yes, I've heard there's an app for that but I'm not phone savvy either.  Sometimes I swear the birds are taunting me.  I know they're in the trees.  I can see them flitting about, out of range, or hear them call, but I have no idea what they are.  Sometimes it's easy.  I got a great look at a Pileated woodpecker today.  That was terrific. It's those times that keep me at it.  And the few times I see a new bird and am actually able to ID it.  As for the other exasperating moments, I guess I'll just have to study and remember to carry my binoculars with me where ever I go.  
photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/proimos/8618362879/">Alex E. Proimos</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment