“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

-Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

When Books Become Movies


     I'm going slightly off topic with this post because I'm still in the middle of my current book, Watership Down, and thought I'd talk a little about a movie I took the kids to see instead.  The first book over 500 pages my, now 11 year old, ever read was Here Be Monsters by Alan Snow.  He was so proud of himself for reading such a hefty book and his confidence soared.  It was terrific.  So. naturally when I heard they were making a movie based on the book I knew we had to go.  It turns out the movie, The Box Trolls, was only very loosely based on the book.  It was more it's own story set in the same world with a few of the same characters.  I wasn't sure how my son would feel about this.  When we saw the Percy Jackson movies, his favorite book series, the major plot changes really bothered him.  I know, I myself am often devotedly loyal to the original book and have become infuriated when movies deviate too much from the storyline.  I have even been known to yell at the screen, in the comfort of my own home of course.  This time however, the differences didn't seem to bother him too much, perhaps because they gave the movie a different title and didn't try to claim it as the same story.  All in all, it was a fun movie with great animation.  We all enjoyed it and I would highly recommend it.

Photo from: http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/files/2014/08/HereBeMonsters-200x300.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment