“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

-Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A New Life Bird!


     I'm finding it very hard to tear myself away from the entertainment in the woods behind our house.  I've been enjoying my morning coffee on the back porch each day watching and listening to the cacophony of bird calls and I find my self so entranced that I can't even read!  I'm afraid I might miss something.  That is saying a lot if you know how much I love books. This new found source of enjoyment is just so exhilarating, as many more experienced birders have known for ages.  Today was especially exciting because I was able to add at least one new bird to my life list. Lot's of people love Warblers and it's easy to see why.  They're cute and colorful and not often seen, so when I spied an American Redstart I was super stoked.  But when the Pileated Woodpecker flew over my head right after I actually jumped up and down and pumped my fist.  Yeah, I know, I'm kind of a dork, but it was really exciting. I think I also saw a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, which would be another one to add to my life list, but I can't be sure so I'm holding off.  All in all a great start to the morning with 16 species before 11am. 

photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/38983646@N06/7190990592/">Putneypics</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment