“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”

-Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

Friday, September 26, 2014

A Love Letter to Gregory Maguire

  
   
Right now I'm reading Gregory Maguire's latest book, Egg and Spoon and I just want to say it's AMAZING!  He's hit it out of the park yet again. This might be my favorite of his yet, and that's saying a lot because I read Wicked twice and loved almost everything of his I've ever read.  What I love about Gregory Maguire's writing is the way he writes his characters and his wry sense of humor.  In Egg and Spoon of course my favorite character is Baba Yaga.  He sure does write a good witch.  I've always loved the character Baba Yaga, going back to when I took a course on Russian fairy tales in college.  I think that was my favorite class.  Maguire's Baba Yaga is a little scary, which she should be, very sarcastic, and slightly insane, but you end up routing for her anyway.  I haven't finished the book yet so I don't know how it will end, but a Russian story can never have a truly happy ending. If you liked his other books run out and get yourself a copy of Egg and Spoon today!  If you haven't read anything he's written I highly recommend you do, if you like fantasy on the dark and gritty side.  I'm crazy about Wicked the musical but the books are definitely more grown up and even a little raunchy.

photo credit: <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/cecilydevil/5128209311/">cecilydevil</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment